So today I did my first ever batch of green beans. I have never used a pressure canner before. It was easier than I thought it would be. You really can pick them and have them canned in under one hour. They just need washed, broken into 1 inch pieces, filled with water from the tap, and 1 tsp. of salt added to each quart. That's it! Amazing. I can't wait to do more. I was a little bit anxious and I lost one quart jar. The bottom broke out during the process. But the other beans turned out great. I am wanting to try refried beans next. My girlfriend does those and she says they are to die for. That her kids won't eat the ones from the store, but they will eat the ones she makes. So it is worth a try. Beans are pretty cheap as it is and as I understand her you don't have to cook the beans before you can them. Also, I know a lady who makes whole batches of spaghetti sauce and just cans the left overs. That way nothing in the fridge going bad. You just can it for the shelf and you can eat it at your own convenience. I kind of like that idea. We will see how industrious I get with this whole thing.
A friend of mine reminded me that I really like the music of Jack Johnson. He is the best and I agree with her. I can listen to him all day long, (and I have)
So now we are off the local swimming pool to let the kids play today. They are meeting friends for an afternoon of swimming. I am enjoying the day -it isn't to hot today! So that is something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You've BEAN busy - ha ha. Glad Brocks bday was fun. And I hope you are getting to do all that fun BTS shopping!
Oh, glad you love Jack J, I can't get enough! I missed you at the party, but it's such a busy time of year. Next year I need to plant more beans, I just blanched a few bags for the freezer. My mom cans (legume) beans whole for just pennies, then mashes or uses them whole, they are delicious and save you a bundle. I'd like your refried bean recipe some time.
Post a Comment