Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Canning

So, I have officially started my canning season, I believe. I did raspberries this week. I had planned to start with cherries, but the trees' blossoms were frozen and ruined. So I have done 20 quarts and am still picking berries! Crazy! I am so excited though, these raspberries are my kids most fav! and we can go through alot. So hopefully I will end up with 25-30 quarts before I am done! I am on the look out for peaches and apricots. I would love to try those. I will probably end up buying some around here. Also, I freeze my rhubarb and plums so I can make all kinds of desserts and Jams of course. I did Nanking cherry Jam, And Gooseberry Jelly so far this summer and am hoping to do a few more kinds before we're through. My kid's favorite is rhubarb, blackberry, strawberry jam. It is to die for. Lot's of compliments on it, too. Well I am just really proud of my day so far. I love it when I am actually productive!

3 comments:

idahohubers said...

YUM! I need to try some canning...next summer, I think. Also next summer you can have all the apricots you want! Our tree is on an off year I guess but they are very tasty.

Hansen family said...

Good for you! My cousin in Rigby got 2 bushels of peaches from the cannery here, apparently they had 10,000 lbs. to sell and were sold out in two hours. Fresh Elbertas from Utah, I was mad! Anyway, if you hear of any fruit for sale, let me know. I may be going to Boise next month, they have some orchards there. I made rasp jam, we've already eaten a jar :0 i know who to call with canning questions!

Anonymous said...

Go you! I remember doing this last fall. I am sure you will have a great time with this! So glad that I found your blog and can keep in touch!