I have been listening to a talk radio show on the am station, and they were talking about how technology is killing our communication skills. At first as I was listening I wasn't so sure. But after hearing all the callers I think I agree, this is what some of the callers have pointed out.
* The new generations have grown up with talking on cell phone, email, blackberry, ect. So when the babyboomer generation dies and leaves all the CEO positions open, will the next generation have the people skills to take over the positions?
* Relationships with extended family are hurt because everyone uses their cell phone and so you call that one person direct. So if my in-laws always called my husband's cell phone and didn't have to call me, or deal with me at all on the phone, because they didn't call the house phone-would our relationship hurt?
* Because of email, and and texting, most people don't use letters and stationary like they used to. This translates into nothing is physically in our possesion to keep from that person. AKA: old letters in the basement from a high school sweetheart, not even missionary letters if they were emailed and not printed out. Letters while dating, notes from a fiance', all these great items that aren't saved.
There were many other great things pointed out on this program, these were just a few.
So my mind started thinking about the council from the Prophets to keep a daily journal. And I have never seriously considered this because I have not wanted others to read my really inner thoughts, (although having a blog might seem contrary to that thought! I don't put the really serious stuff down, some how it seems different to have a private journal.). But now I am rethinking that idea. I am worried that none of my grandchildren will really know me or understand my decisions. Because I never bothered to document anything of value. With our easily deleted world I may not leave a mark for others to get to learn of my life by. So I think I may have to pick up a journal to keep for myself. I think the time has come for me to figure out how to get it all out on paper! Does anyone have a thought or idea about this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, I think that it a huge tragedy! I type my journal on the computer then print it out. There's something about having a hard copy in my hand. I treasure all the letters Cody and I wrote during mission and college. Hey, you should get your blog bound into a book eh?
Okay so what about a fire. If you have a fire, all your hand made scrapbooks, your photos, your letters, the notes you wrote to your kids, your journals etc are all destroyed. But because of technology, we are able to store them online. My blog. I have a ton of photos, goings on in my daily life, what my kids said when, etc. So it is a strong case for both sides. IMO! Have a great day and I will get those cards out in the MAIL today or Friday. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Give all the fam a hug for me. Man I miss you!
I think that once you get started with journaling, it does become a habit if your'e really motivated in the beginning. I like the idea of typing it out and then printing it off-then you have two copies of it. And you really can't lay out some of those more personal thoughts on the internet or in your scrapbook *although i do consider these to be a type of journal writing* Just my thoughts-its so much fun to go back and read where you were in life a few years back.
Post a Comment