Monday, July 20, 2009

hygeine kits

I saw a post on Cranberry Corner that was inspiring. I have been wanting to make hygeine kits for quite awhile and was super overwhelmed by the idea. But she made it seem so easy that I thought I could do it. I have broken it down a bit but it's s step for me.
Everyone's kit was to fit inside of a gallon ziploc bag. The girls have feminine hygeine products and the babies have diapers/wipes. These kits are only a 3 day supply!



Ours include:

toilet paper
combs
deoderant (those that need it)
bar soap
hand sanitizer
shampoo
conditioner
moisturizer
lip balm
candy
wash cloth
extra ziploc bag for wet cloth to go in
pony tail holders (girls)
body wipes
first aid kit
sunscreen
toothbrush
toothpaste
mouthwash
floss
razor (for Robert)
shaving cream (for Robert)


The baby has baby powder and baby sunscrren ect. in his. I didn't have the funds for backpacks for everyone but I decided to use the reusable grocery bags and had everyone put a change of clothes in it along with the kit. I added the candy because who can't use chocolate in a time of need for comfort? Besides, I will be making a family kit next and it will include games and such as well as scriptures and the first aid stuff. This was a good start for us. We keep them in the garage with our water supply and the camping gear. I still plan on including a copy of our necessary 'papers'. Especially the financial ones. If we leave our house quickly I want birth certificates as well as a way to access our bank stuff. So that's still 'to come'.
We put these together during a family home evening. We went over how to use body wipes and garbage disposal. Also, sanitation and multiuse items. Like using mouth wash to disinfect wounds. It will hurt but keep out infection. We went over sharing our supplies with others. (for the record we will always share and this was made clear to the kids) We also had a fire drill and went over our 'safe' meeting spot. My Mom reminded me that we needed our 'safe password' but I neglected that, so it is still to come! Thank you, Mom! anyway, It's a start.

3 comments:

Andi said...

Whoa! I am inspired and humbled by this post. Also feeling very overwhelmed and inadequate at this point. The power you have over me..... :)
(Good for you, by the way - I think what you've done is awesome!)

PhillipsFam said...

good for you!! sadly, I don't know that I've ever even thought of doing these - looks easy enough, just need to get on it.....right?

Megan said...

I think we just might copy you for our next fhe. I never thought about the hygeine stuff (just the food)for our 72 hour kits.