Tuesday, December 9, 2008

getting it all done!

We put up our Christmas Tree this weekend. Now this tree is not my favorite tree, but it is what we have. Also, I am not sure (with 6 kids in the house) if it would be worth replacing it! anyway, the kids were very excited to put things together. They were very careful about helping, They listened very well. I was pleased (overall). But then came the tears after it was all over because Alexa likes to squeeze the glass balls in her hands. NOT a good thing. She doesn't cry because her hands hurt or that they're broken. She's upset that she is told that it's naughty and that she can't hold anymore! Actually when you say, "that's naughty, Alexa!" She says- "but I'm happy Momma!" So I think that she doesn't quite get the meaning of it. She thinks it's because your grumpy or something. It's like when you wash her hair and she doesn't like it, she will yell -I'm Bored, I'm bored. That actually means I don't like it! Anyway, I digress, The tree is up and I am relieved that it is one more thing finished at our house. Now I can start the run down for when I get to take it down. Yes, I realize I sound like scrouge, but It is much easier when it is all put away.




The tree actually looks better at night (and in person. it's not the best photo)or maybe I just like it with my eyes closed, I'm not sure. It is one of those things that I don't have what I really want so I just don't really care about it at all. But I have been reading some of you all's blogs so maybe I will work on the loving everything in the moment and all that! (or maybe next time!)


Ian has strep throat. (I know I feel sorry for the guy! he is such a great sickie. Makes me feel even more bad for him) But while I was at the Dr.'s office I noticed their beautiful tree. And they had massive candy canes tied together with ribbon, in three's. I loved it. So while I was waiting for his prescription to fill I had me a little crafty moment. I went and picked up 2 kinds of candy cane (so I could have slightly differant stripe patterns) Went to the fabric department and picked up some red ribbon. Total cost was like$3! I was feeling super cool at this point! At home I took 3 canes and bundled them together with rubberbands and put ribbon over it! I'll probably save the ribbon for next year, and of course I am thinking of some really cool renditions to this but for right now, this is it!


Sorry about my snarkiness-It's one of those days!

6 comments:

Andi said...

I'm with you on the snarkiness this year. It feels like there is so much to do and not nearly enough time to do it in. How can we enjoy the season with all that pressure? At least you have your tree up, with presents underneath to boot - that's two steps ahead of us! Cute candy canes, though. Merry Christmas, and Bah Humbug!

PhillipsFam said...

I DO like the candy canes, very fun idea - I will have to steal it too!! You are brave to put the presents under already - I think we will wait until Christmas Eve, the girls just aren't super trustworthy w/ that stuff!

Shanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanna said...

Oooooo! I like that tree. It looks really really pretty. I might have to try the candy cane thing. I do the same thing with cinnamon sticks. I get the longer ones and tie them in groups of 3 with ribbon. Very pretty. Oh, and I liked how the YW put notes all over the house to welcome in Brynlee. Very Sweet. Good job on the tree! By the way, that was my deleted comment...too many misspellings:)

Jennifer Rae said...

I love that I am not the only one who have snarky days! Melissa you ROCK!

Sweet Em said...

Melissa - apparently my cousin Ashley is in your ward! She wanted to know why I had commented on your blog...too funny!