Tuesday, September 23, 2008

settling in


We are settling into a routine -I think. Or shall I say, I HOPE?!?! The first few days at home were kind of rough. The Baby was born with some sucking issues-due to being born early. But we have perserveered and I think he is now gonna be a successful nurser. The last few days have been much better, in the eating area. He is a pretty content baby, That is so nice!! he smiles already at us and seems to be very aware when we talk to him.


I promised an update on his birth -so here goes.


I had a regular Dr. appointment on Monday, and the weekend before I had this feeling that I wouldn't be going home from this appointment. I think I could just tell how horrible I was feeling. I actually got ready for church thinking "I won't be going again for a few weeks" . So I went to the appointment and sure enough I was sent over to the hospital for 'observation'. Robert was with me and he got me all settled in and watched as the many drugs were hooked up! He left to get the kids settled in for the night and to be back in the morning -hoping that the specialist would allow me to go home with some drugs for a few weeks. Tuesday morning the Dr. came in and we decided that an induction was the best bet. I was a 3 already and had come into the hospital on Monday with contractions anyway. So they 'officially' started me. I called Robert and he was sitting at the table with the kids. I told him what had been decided and he told the kids. They let out a cheer of jubilation-ignorance is bliss I think! He put it into gear and got the kids off to school and my visiting teacher (Sis. Burgur) who is a major blessing to our lives, came over to watch the little ones. Robert got to the hospital with my 'stuff' and we settled in for the day. I was suprised at how bad I felt at this point. I had a really bad migraine that had started in the night- due to the pre-eclampsia so they gave me pain killer for it. That caused me to start vomiting, so on came the Zofran to help with the nausea. I was on Magnesium Sulfate and that stuff is horrible. the nurse warned me that is was gonna make me feel bad-but I had no idea that i would feel emotionally bad too. So on came the weepy, pregnant woman. But I have to say the nurses were top notch and Robert was the perfect supportive husband. I have a lot of gratitude for him and his support. Because of the type of drugs I was on. I was not allowed out of bed and that complicated things. fast forward 10 hours and I am finally a 9. YEA!! but that lasted for 2 hours. Gavin wouldn't complete due to his arms being raised above his head. They thought at first that it was his cord around his neck, and that we needed to get things moving along. so they had me just go ahead and start pushing. Which ended up being a good thing. Also, the Magnesium will soften all joints and tendons as well as muscles. So I think that probably helped with the whole arm above the head thing. Gavin was born and everything turned out fine with him. He has a bruise that runs along his wrist to his elbow. Due to it being raised. But otherwise he's good. I was in the hospital a few more days to monitor my progress. I had another day of drugs and another to monitor how I would come down off of the drugs, but I think things are settling back to 'normal'. I feel better and better everyday, Robert commented yesterday how nice it was to have his wife back- I loved to hear that. This sounds like a horrible birth. It wasn't what I had envisioned but I am so glad it turned out well. I think I was feeling so bad before that being induced had become a relief. I started flushing water immediatly after the birth and the swelling has gone way down. I can wear shoes (I have been wearing house slippers everywhere because nothing fit). I have lost at least 20 pounds of WATER!! YEA!!!! This actually turned out to be a great experience and I have learned alot through these last few weeks. Thank you to my friend who visited and brought meals and goodies!! WE appreciate it. It's always nice to feel loved and remembered!

5 comments:

5dollarFanatic said...

Your hospital picture is so pretty- I just love that Gavin is looking up at you-sweet. If we all could look that great after giving birth...sigh..

Mikaela said...

I agree...you do look really good in your picture...and to have had such a horrible labor, and you still look that good...NOT FAIR! Sounds like you had quite the ordeal...I'm glad you're recovering quickly! Gavin is just a beautiful baby...love his chubby little cheeks!

Ashley said...

Hey Melissa! I stumbled upon something weird, but interesting. How do you know 'sweet em'?

Ashley said...

Sweet Em is my cousin! Weird huh?!

PhillipsFam said...

He reminds me of Jade! Glad to hear he is eating well - I will be calling you soon! Good job already updating the blog - go you!!